sexta-feira, 26 de setembro de 2008

O Musical do Bailout, na New Yorker: humor sobre a crise

Fragments from Bailout! The Musical

BEN GREEMAN, DA NEW YORKER ON LINE

A wallet is on a desk. A DOLLAR BILL pokes his head out.

DOLLAR BILL:

Let me introduce myself

I’m a dollar bill

Once I was the source

Of unlimited goodwill

People all around the world

Thought I was fantastic

The planet ran on paper

Before it ran on plastic

But now trust in me

Has been badly eroded

Thanks to lousy credit

I’ve been overloaded

Next to him, a CREDIT CARD stirs.

CREDIT CARD:

I couldn’t help but overhear

And I have to say I’m shocked

Why the hell would you blame me

And not blame common stocks?

Wasn’t it the market

That fell down on the job

By appealing to the basest

Instincts of the mob?

A STOCK CERTIFICATE rises off the desk nearby and unfolds.

STOCK CERTIFICATE:

Do you really think

That this bad feeling and rancor

Ever would have happened

If not for the bankers?

They’re the ones who led us

Into rank overextension

The way that they have acted

Is beyond my comprehension

The DOLLAR BILL, the CREDIT CARD, and the STOCK CERTIFICATE squabble. The DOLLAR BILL raises his voice. The STOCK CERTIFICATE threatens the CREDIT CARD. Finally, a nearby CHECKBOOK speaks up.

CHECKBOOK:

All of you, stop. Will you, please?

I don’t want to see a fight

The truth is that you all are wrong

And also that you all are right

This fix we’re in, you see

Is unimaginably complex

Monies are all intertwined

Y regresses onto x

Lehman, Merrill, A.I.G.

No one knows a thing, you see

Let’s all relax. Let’s take a rest

The coolest heads can think the best

I have a film I want to show

O.K.?

DOLLAR BILL:

O.K.

CREDIT CARD:

O.K.

STOCK CERTIFICATE:

Let’s go

The CHECKBOOK pulls down a movie screen from the ceiling and, with the CREDIT CARD’s help, starts a projector. An image of Treasury Secretary HENRY PAULSON appears onscreen.

DOLLAR BILL:

Who’s the old guy?

He looks smart

CREDIT CARD:

Shh…the movie’s

About to start

HENRY PAULSON speaks.

HENRY PAULSON:

Come now, travel with me

Back to 2001

Remember the big boom?

That was an awful lot of fun

Alan Greenspan warned

About the bursting bubble

He lowered all the interest rates

To try to forestall trouble

That led in turn to a big run

On purchases of real estate

Offset falling stock prices

With property? It all seemed great

But then the subprime borrowers

Started to default

And our proud economy

Began to grind to a halt

The DOLLAR BILL snores.

CREDIT CARD:

What the hell?

The dollar’s snoring

DOLLAR:

Sorry, guys

This movie’s boring

JOHN MCCAIN appears onscreen.

CHECKBOOK:

It’s going to get exciting quick

That guy with white hair is a maverick

Onscreen, JOHN MCCAIN speaks.

JOHN MCCAIN:

I’m suspending my campaign

To focus on finance

This is a pressing, dire

Unprecedented circumstance

My friends, I want to tell you

I’ll work until the crisis ends

Nothing is more important

I hope you understand, my friends

The first debate must wait

The economy is failing

And sadly that will mean

Delaying Biden-Palin

BARACK OBAMA objects to the postponement.

BARACK OBAMA:

What? You’re kidding

You wouldn’t dare

I’m going down to Mississippi

I’ll expect to see you there

DOLLAR BILL:

I don’t get it at all

My friends? Mississippi?

This movie is weird,

It’s disjointed and trippy

The CHECKBOOK stops the projector.

STOCK CERTIFICATE:

Come on, man. Don’t stop the show

Dollar can’t shut up, you know

CHECKBOOK:

I won’t restart the projector

It’s off for the time being

I want to know that Dollar

Understand the things he’s seeing

DOLLAR BILL:

I understand—I’m sure I do

A financier once dropped a shoe

The second one was due for dropping

But in the meantime, he kept hopping

CHECKBOOK:

I have to say that I’m not sure

I understand your metaphor

CREDIT CARD:

This is insane

Let me explain

The CREDIT CARD turns to the DOLLAR BILL and speaks in a soft voice, trying not to lose his temper.

CREDIT CARD:

Ben Bernanke

Met a bank he

Didn’t like

Then another

And another

He called Mike

Bloomberg, and Bob Dole

Buffett, Nunn, and Volcker

Bernanke and Paulson then

Set up some very high-stakes poker

They bet that they could patch

The holes in the dike

With half a trillion dollars

And perhaps a small tax hike

They thought that now

Was the time to strike

Ben Bernanke

Met a bank he

Didn’t like

DOLLAR BILL:

O.K., O.K.

Let’s watch some more

I promise you

That I won’t snore

The CHECKBOOK restarts the movie. In it, President GEORGE W. BUSH is presiding over an emergency meeting.

GEORGE W. BUSH:

Let me start by saying

That I don’t understand

A single thing about

The Invisible Hand

Or rates, or banks, or credit

Or mortgages or loans

But I know where my big desk is

And how to use the phones

And that is why I’ve called you

Here this afternoon

We need to fix this problem

And we need to fix it soon

A panic now is creeping

Over city, state, and town

If money isn’t loosened up

This sucker could go down

The group turns to WARREN BUFFET for advice, since he is massively rich.

WARREN BUFFET:

This economic Pearl Harbor

Has cooled off investors’ ardor

Everything must be adjusted

We need some help or we’ll be busted

A $700 billion bailout is proposed. REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL LEADERSHIP is displeased.

REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL LEADERSHIP:

We remain staunchly defiant

Government can’t get too giant

Seven hundred billion is an awful lot to spend

When we don’t even know how deep the cracks extend

The Presidential candidates weigh in on the political implications of the crisis.

JOHN MCCAIN:

Party lines are unimportant

We need a united front

BARACK OBAMA:

So why’d you try to sink the debate?

It felt to some like a self-serving stunt

SARAH PALIN:

Look! It’s Russia, over there

Have I mentioned that I hunt?

A compromise is reached. HENRY PAULSON and BEN BERNANKE announce it.

HENRY PAULSON:

Our commitment to financial health

Will soon restore the nation’s wealth

BEN BERNANKE:

It should recover fairly briskly

If not you’ll find me in the whiskey

The film ends.

DOLLAR BILL:

Where’s the rest?

I want to see how it turns out

CHECKBOOK:

Well, it isn’t over yet

We’re in a time of fear and doubt

A major economic funk

DOLLAR BILL:

I have to say, that movie stunk

The DOLLAR BILL, the CREDIT CARD, the STOCK CERTIFICATE, and the CHECKBOOK decide to play cards instead. The DOLLAR BILL, surprisingly, wins most of the hands.

Nenhum comentário: